July 31, 2010

NEVER SAY NEVER

In my previous post, “Gone Fishing…” I gave notice that I’d write nary a word until this interminable agonizing summer was over. Clearly, I broke my covenant with *Momus, but only because I want to give thanks to **Zeus for his gentle breezes that, on delightful occasion, he sends to us down here on earth. When I’ve been lucky enough to be graced by one of his zephyrs, I want to run, into Sheep’s Meadow the lush, 15-acre lawn in Central Park, NYC, and shed my clothes to more fully enjoy. Then, after being sated, it might be appropriate to perform some ritual of praise and gratitude. Perhaps, I should build a statue in his honor as the ancient Greeks are wont. Perhaps the sacrifice of a Tea Party member, or two, might be appreciated. Any nominations?
       *The Greek God of satire, mockery, censure, writers and poets.
     **The Greek God of the heavens and the upper regions of the earth;
         master of destiny; god of weather; protector of guests; guardian
         of law; upholder of morality.

The miseries of Summer 2010, gives one ample opportunity to speculate why a fresh breeze feels remarkably life-saving event, notwithstanding the sensual pleasure and cooling effect. Since all pleasure experience is rooted in our survival mechanisms, what critical functions did summer breezes offer primitive man that secured the experience a place in our genome? I’ll take a stab. Breezes can blow insects and noxious fumes away; they can direct scents in our direction, alerting us to potential harm such as an advancing predator, a fire, or they can carry a warming of an impending dangerous geologic or atmospheric event. That’s as much as I can come up with, for now. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. In any event, we know that pleasure and *happiness promotes survival. Happy people don’t hurt others. So bask in those rare and delicious summer wind songs, but please don’t disrobe in public because, even here in New York, there’s always a chance, rare though it might be, that you’ll end up in the clink where, I know for a fact, Zeus hasn’t visiting privileges, but I’ll be there with the proverbial cake, though minus a file.
              *Emotions such as pleasure and happiness originate in the
               limbic system, the earliest developed region in the brain of
               modern man.

1 comment:

Post a Comment