April 21, 2010

VENTURING FORTH

        It’s true. There are many benefits to working at home. There’s always lots of food. It’s O.K to stay in frayed-and-faded jammies. And there may be an orange tabby curled up on your desk editing your prose, or a Golden Retriever laughing at your side. But it’s not all rosy. There are downsides. Distractions abound. Gee, Federer’s playing Nadal. Take a nap? Bad, bad dog! Sit! Stay! But arguable the biggest drawback to working in the embrace of one’s own nest is that it’s too darn easy not to get up and leave all that comfyness behind, especially if: Will it rain? Or, should I take a nap? Or, and or, and or. Unlike leaving a regular office, leaving a home-one somehow seems like a big, big deal. So, you’ve just got to push yourself out the door and into the bounteous world, keeping firmly in mind that rarely are such efforts not met with rich rewards. Yesterday was just such a day.
       To forth. As I was waiting for the light, I noticed the man next to me. I was pretty sure he was a well known character actor* who played bad guys but on the other hand, maybe he was just the same type. He had a lionesque head and scowly, ferociously worn features. The clincher came when I checked-out his shoes. It was definitely – Him. His shoes were actually boots -- beautiful, minimal, black calf boots with pointy toes, worn with a classic blue blazer. Cool, no? I opened with, “Good work.” His raging features turned into a beatific smile. When I told him that I’d verified his credentials via his footwear, he was extremely pleased to tell me that he always wore the self-same boots, both on and off the set, and that they were even written into his contract. “Really?” “No, just kidding, but [Ha-Ha] it saves them money [not to have to furnish him with footwear.]” We happily said our good-byes, both of us flattered, each in our own way, and me grateful for yet another enchanting New York chance encounter.
       From forth. On my home, as I walked past Lincoln Center, I was struck that its plaza looked sterile and bare. I realized that the hand railings on the front steps were gone. Quelle fou, I thought. People need railings. They do. Just then, as if by magic, a friend, a respected [woman] civic leader who I hadn’t seen in quite some time crossed my path. That in itself was a pleasure, but now I also had an opportunity to express my no-railings displeasure. This knowledgeable lady heartily agreed with me and that made my ego smile. If only they’d asked me first. I would have reminded them that “Form follows function.” Every single time. Now and always. And forevermore.
        So, please promise me, DR, that you’ll remind me the next time I’m dragging my heels about the rich rewards just waiting for those who venture forth and then give me a great big shove out the door.
         *Found his name. He’s Kevin Conway and, in real life, he’s really kind of cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment