March 24, 2010

“Bluuuue Moon, I saw you…”

Years ago, in “The New York Times,” I came across a list of names for each of the 12 full moons. I was so enchanted by the lyricism of it all that I kept the list as sort of a souvenir of sweeter times, clearer dark skies and once passionate hearts. I always hoped I’d be able to use it in some way, but I never knew how. Until now. When, you, Dear Reader, thankfully came along. I hope you'll find the list as evocative and pleasurable as did I, as well as the concept that -- just like you and me -- moons have names, too. Here goes!
  • January – Wolf Moon
  • February – Snow Moon
  • March – Work Moon
  • April – Grass Moon
  • May – Flower Moon
  • June – Strawberry Moon
  • July – Thunder Moon
  • August – Green corn Moon
  • September – Harvest Moon
  • October – Hunter’s Moon
  • November – Beaver Moon
  • December – Cold Moon 
Blue Moon And now for the Grand Finale! THE BLUE MOON. When two moons occur in only one month -- the second is known as “Blue.” Oh, you mysterious Blue. You’re such a bad, bad boy. .
N.B. Every culture has designated their own names for the Full Moons and in many instances, a moon is known by multiple monikers. This list is somewhat of a compilation

No comments:

Post a Comment